Travel Diary: Spring Break

We got to Munich nice and early Friday morning (after our 6:45 am flight from Florence) to a cold and drizzling city. Funny story about our lovely journey over to the airport in Florence – as with anything travel related to me and Lizzy, nothing is easy. In Florence, you cannot hail a cab, you either have to call for a cab or go to a taxi stand. Since it was super early, we called the night before to a cab company and scheduled a pickup for 5am. They told us to be down a few minutes early, so Lizzy and I got downstairs around 4:50. At this time, literally no on is around except for a few people from the night before and people walking their dogs. So we waited inside our apartment building with the door cracked so we could see the car come. Well, we waited until 5:10 and no car came and when we called, no one answered, so we assumed they forgot about us and decided to walk to the taxi stand a few blocks away… Well no cabs were there so now we were really screwed… I remembered that there was a hotel down the street from where we were, so we dragged our staircases there and begged the people that worked there to help us call a cab. The guy felt so bad and called us one right away and stayed with us to make sure he actually came.

Once we finally made it to Munich, we checked in to our room and relaxed for a bit before going to Starbucks and meeting at Marienplatz for a walking tour of the city. It started by the New and Old Town Halls and the Glockenspiel. We then wandered over to the Viktualienmarkt, which is a big market full of fruits, veggies, meats, etc. and a Biergarten. Unfortunately, it was Good Friday, which Germans take VERY seriously and everything was closed. We then walked over to the opera house and the Munich Residenz, which was a palace in the city where King Ludwig and other Kings of the city resided. The focus of the tour was not on the Nazi party, but there is one street in Munich that has gold in the cobblestone that showed an area where anti-Nazis would walk to avoid have to do the “Heil Hitler” to a plaque. After the tour ended, Lizzy and I were exhausted and cold, so we grabbed a quick bite to eat and headed back to the hotel for a nap. We woke up hungry and to it really raining, so we decided to just eat dinner at the hotel. We enjoyed some yummy sushi, a hot shower, and a nice long sleep!


Anti-Nazi Walk






Saturday morning we got up and met Lizzy’s friend Connie and her boyfriend to go to Neuschwanstein for the day. They were nice enough to drive us there and back, which was a fun way to see the countryside of Munich. However, all but one road was closed, including the one leading to the castle, so we got stuck in a pretty big traffic jam and missed our ticket time to they castle. Luckily, Connie called and was able to get us a later ticket time and we made it just in time! We climbed the exhausting mile walk up to the castle and spent all of probably 5 minutes in the castle on the tour… It was kind of lame, but we got to see the inside. We then wanted to get good pictures of the castle, but the bridge to do that was closed due to maintenance and some snow. But, the way up was still accessible and people were going, so we decided to climb it too! It was the steepest uphill climb, but it gave pretty good views. However, the actual bridge was further up the hill, so we climbed up to see what that view was like, which meant we had to climb up the mud in the trees to get the view. It was definitely worth it, but you just couldn’t look down once you got to the edge – it was a straight drop down! We grabbed a snack after and headed back to Munich on the autobahn, which was really fun. Germans really do know how to drive! We said our goodbyes and Lizzy and I finished the night off with Starbucks and Dirty Dancing!



Sunday was Easter and literally everything in Munich was closed… Except the art museums, which is exactly what Lizzy and I decided to do! We started at the Alte Pinakothek which had a lot of Renaissance art, so we got our fill of Jesus paintings on Easter. We then went to the Neue Pinakothek which has more romanticism and realism paintings including some Van Gogh and Monet! After that, we strolled over to Odeonsplatz to Tambosi which is an Italian café that is known for their cakes, so we obviously had to have one. After relaxing in the sun for a bit, we walked over to the English Gardens to stroll around. Literally everyone was out and about, and it was nice to enjoy some fresh air. At the park there is an area where there is a major current and people surf there, so we stood and watched them surf for quite a while. We then walked back over towards Odeonsplatz and decided that it would be fun to go to the Munich Residenz. It was amazing! It’s very similar to Versailles and is massive; 131 rooms in total! After a while, they all started to blend together, but the place was beautiful! We were exhausted after this big day out, so we came back to the hotel to take a rest and just relax for a bit before dinner. We enjoyed the traditional Easter dinner of hamburgers, French fries, and a cocktail before heading off to bed!

Monday is also celebrated in Munich and literally everything is closed. So we decided to take a day trip to Dachau. It was probably one of the most emotionally intense things I’ve witnessed and being there was really tough, but I enjoyed learning the history and seeing what I learned throughout high school in person. After a draining 5 hour tour, Lizzy and I were ready for some fun and food. We headed to the Hofbrauhaus for some beer and Wiener schnitzel. It was delicious and just what we needed. We decided to walk around for a bit after our big meal and then went back to the hotel to relax for a bit. We ended up going to a pizza place near our hotel for dinner – we weren’t starving but wanted something to hold us over till morning. We went back to the room and packed up before going to sleep.


Tuesday morning we got up and walked around the market since it was finally open. We then ventured into the different department stores and other stores to browse and in search of Christmas ornaments. Once we checked those items off our list, we headed back to the hotel for check out and to go to Dubrovnik. The flight from Munich to Dubrovnik was really easy and beautiful! We landed around 4 and made it to the hotel in time for dinner and a walk around with Kayleigh. Since it’s the low season, many of the restaurants at the hotel are not open, so we ended up eating at the hotel and were the only people in the restaurant for the majority of the night. We all crashed early after big days of traveling.

Wednesday morning we got up and took the bus to Old Town Dubrovnik where we walked around the city walls. You get beautiful views of the city and the ocean from the walls. It ended up warming up a lot more than we expected so we grabbed “take away mojitos” and wandered around the town for lunch. We decided to grab lunch up on the hill by the water and some yummy hamburgers and French fries. We then walked back through town, grabbing another mojito, before getting on the bus to go back and tan. That night we walked 550 meters from our hotel to Restaurant Eden. It was a lot longer of a walk than we had anticipated, but it was a cute little restaurant with yummy food. After our big adventure, we were exhausted and called it a day.


Thursday we spent the whole day laying by the pool and catching some rays. It was so nice to just unwind and have no agenda. We ate lunch at a pub we found in walking distance and then returned to tan some more. For dinner, we went back into town and ate at Restaurant 360. It has beautiful views of the city, but it was too cold and windy to sit outside and enjoy them, so we sat inside. They had, probably,  of the best food we ate the whole trip and it was really nice to treat ourselves to a nice dinner. We were again all exhausted and called it a night after dinner.

Friday we got up early and took the ferry from town to the island of Lorkum, about 10 minutes away. There is a monastery there as well as gardens, roaming peacocks, and rabbits. It was a beautiful island and we spent the day exploring. There were beautiful ponds and all sorts of fun trails to explore. We finished there around 2 and took the ferry back to town and go sushi. It was the cutest restaurant that was family owned and it was delish. After lunch, we, of course, had to grab another mojito before shopping around a bit more. Once done, we headed back to the hotel for Kayleigh to register for classes for the fall and then relaxed a bit. We decided to go back to town for dinner and ate at a yummy Italian place. After another big day out, we called it quits after dinner.


Saturday we got up and tanned again. Since it was our last full day, we were determined to get as much sun as we could. We lounged by the pool all day and while it started off cloudy, it eventually led to some pretty good sun. We stayed out all day and then went bald to town one last time for dinner. We found a cute restaurant right by the water where we enjoyed our last Croatian meal – though we didn’t have any “typical” Croatian food – not really sure what that actually consists of. But dinner was good. We bid adieu to town and went back to the hotel to pack up and enjoy one more night of comfy sleep.

Sunday morning we got up and finished packing before getting breakfast. Kayleigh had an early flight so we said goodbye to her and Lizzy and I went to lounge by the pool again. We both had scheduled massages, so we took turns going – which was the most interesting massage I’ve ever had. At one point he masseuse was laying down on top of me. It was very odd, but at least, it was something to do. We spent the rest of the afternoon in the sun before saying goodbye to Croatia and catching a flight to Frankfurt before heading back to Florence.

I can’t believe spring break is over… That just means I’m that much closer to being done abroad, and I’m not ready… Yet anyways.


One thought on “Travel Diary: Spring Break

  1. Aunt Connie says:

    I love your blogs, we absolutely loved Dubrovnic too. So glad you are so adventurous and seeing so many important sites. Love, A. Connit

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s